CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where I'm From

This week's Crowned competition at Scrapdango was to use yellow, polka dots, and a reveal. Well, there's nothing more revealing than old photos (especially with HUGE glasses and braces!).



I took the idea and the last stanza of the poem from George Ella Lyon. If you haven't yet tried her idea of exploring from where you came, it was a fun experience!

Here is my full journaling:
I am from hanging the wash out to dry
and raking leaves in the fall.
I am from playing in the back yard
and having Easter pictures in the front.
I am from drying the dishes,
dusting the house,
and sleeping in the living room
during strong storms.

I'm from fruitcake and cotton,
Thanksgiving in Harrisonburg, Christmas in Shelby.
I'm from the three Bridges girls,
the thoroughbreds.
From hard work and Do your best!
I'm from soccer and dancing,
late football Friday night pizza
and New Year’s game nights.

I'm from glasses and braces,
reading and sleepovers.
From never knowing one grandfather,
and a grandmother gone too soon.
I am from Bible drills and prayer,
gullibility, nighttime tucking in
I’m from winding up an old mantle clock.

I’m from posters on the walls,
bunk beds and bedtime secrets.
From four schools in as many years
And an occasional heartbreak.
I am from those moments--
snapped before I budded --
leaf-fall from the family tree.

0 comments: